Friday, February 11, 2011

Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh

After the Super Bowl, I got to ponder further the relationship between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  Having lived in Cleveland for nearly 40 years out of my 51 years on this earth, I have observed much about these two cities. 

There are a lot of transplants between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  I know personally three transplants and they walk defiantly with their Pittsburgh terrible towels.  We give them grief jokingly, but secretly we admire the winning tradition and the fact that they have a team that consistently wins. 

If you go to eastern OH say around Youngstown, you will find more Pittsburgh Steeler fans than Browns fans.  The state of Ohio does not assure allegiance.  However, none of those fans would even contemplate rooting for a college team in Pennsylvania.  We are all Buckeyes when it comes to college sports. 

The Browns have beaten the Steelers only once in the past 15 tries and that was last year when our team despite its record actually won.  We gloated about that for weeks.  Steeler fans don’t take nearly the pleasure out of beating the Browns because it just is expected.  Reminds me of when I was a kid, I would sucker punch my big brother and then run away.  Eventually he would find me and beat the tar out of me.  I enjoyed the sucker punch but it was clear who was the stronger one (at least at that time). 

I am hoping things will change eventually, but I am not holding my breath.

No comments: