Monday, April 19, 2010

My Shriveled Cleveland Sports Heart

Basketball playoffs have started.  I am not a big fan of the NBA, but I love to watch the Cavaliers play.  There is no doubt in my mind that Lebron James is the best player ever.  I saw a lot of Michael Jordan in his heyday, but Lebron does so many things well.  He is a better passer than Jordan by far and I think a better defender and rebounder.  This kid is truly amazing and he is from our backyard in Akron.  I very much hope he stays in Cleveland.  The Cavs as a team are also fun to watch as they play hard every night.  They are ready to take the prize, something we have not had in Cleveland since 1964. 

But I am from Cleveland and it seems like we are never over-optimistic.  I lived through "the drive", "the shot", Jose Mesa implosion, blowing a 3-1 series lead to Boston, etc.  Last year, we blew through everyone only to get snuffed by Orlando.  We hold back - we are from Cleveland.  Our pastor Joe Coffey calls it "our little shriveled Cleveland sports heart".  Some cities claim droughts - Cubs for example.  But no city has experienced a complete sports drought like Cleveland.  And it is not just the drought - it is the way we lose.  Heartbreak after heartbreak. 

But maybe this year is the year. 

No comments: