Friday, May 7, 2010

It Only Takes A Moment...

... to ruin a reputation. Lawrence Taylor is the latest athlete (or former athlete) to commit an immoral act that sullies his reputation. Before that we had just in the last six months Tiger Woods and Ben Roethlisberger. These were men that had worked so hard to be good in their craft, to build an image only to see it crashing down. Let's not forget about the families or the wives of these men who suffered public embarrassment and ruined the trust they had. Now, it can be done that an image can be restored. Remember Marv Albert, one of my favorite announcers (having grown up in NJ - we heard him do the Knicks, Jets, etc.) and his indescretions a few years back. He has regained his reputation, but it took years.

What causes men to do to have a catastrophic moral meltdown? What causes a Tiger Woods to have so many affairs? Is it a feeling of invincibility? Is it a feeling of entitlement? Is it the lack of a personal guilt (except when caught)? Is it a lack of accountability? It is all of the above. Each of us should know that we are just a moment away from catastrophic moral meltdown. I am keenly aware of my flesh patterns that could lead me away. I can think of many moments where a next step here, a next step there could lead to the meltdown. In fact, I am most scared when I am most judgmental of others. 1 Corinthians 10:12 serves as a warning - "Whoever thinks he stands, take heed lest he fall". If I had the same power and fame, would I fall into the same moral pit? This warning also implies what I would do to others if I fall morally. I would undo years and years of trust, reliability, and integrity both in those I love and in those that trust me. Is it worth it?

No comments: