Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sorry I Misspoke

Attorney General and Democratic Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal conceded last week that he had "misspoken" about having fought in the Vietnam War.  Blumenthal, the state's top law enforcement officer since 1991, was captured on video in 2008 saying in a speech, "when I served in Vietnam."  Blumenthal, 64, enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in 1970 after receiving deferments from the military draft, he said at a news conference. He spent six years in the Reserve, none of it overseas. 

"On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service and I regret that and I take full responsibility," said Blumenthal, surrounded by veterans. "But I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service to our country."


The definition of misspoke is to speak mistakenly, inappropriately, or rashly.  Was he mistaken?   I doubt that?  He knew what he was saying - this wasn't an exaggeration.  He stated he served in Vietnam.  It certainly is inappropriate because he flat out lied.   This is yet another example of double-speak we see from politicians, particularly lawyer politicians.  Have you ever been caught in a lie?  Sounds bad to say, "Yes, I lied!"  Sounds better to say, "I misspoke".  No sir, you lied.  Admit it.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yup. You can't say you "misspoke" about something that you keep "misspeaking" about.